Arthritis is inflammation of the joints. Symptoms of arthritis are primarily joint pain and stiffness. These symptoms usually progress with age. Two of the most common types of arthritis are osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis.
Osteoarthritis is characterised by the breakdown and degeneration of joint cartilage. It is the result of the ageing process and trauma to the joint from normal wear and tear.
On physical exam, the joints are tender and inflamed. There is often joint enlargement, pain with weight-bearing and decreased range of motion. Surgery and medication may relieve pain and restore function.
Rheumatoid Arthritis is an autoimmune disorder. RA is a chronic systemic disease that is characterised by inflammation and stiffness in the joints but may also affect major organs within the body especially the heart and lungs.
Psoriatic arthritis shares many features with rheumatoid arthritis and carries a similar risk.
Sjogren’s disease refers to symptoms of dryness in the eyes and mouth and is often seen in patients with rheumatoid arthritis.
Atkinson’s Care & Nursing Homes, understand how arthritis can affect a person’s day to day living. Supporting Arthritis:
- To maintain a person’s independence, our care team with ensuring we support assistance in transfers and moving.
- All our staff are trained in moving and handling techniques and to use adaption aids which promote empowerment for the person to continue walking and moving around.
- It is important that they get plenty of rest, and their bodies are comforted.
- All of our Care and Nursing homes have profile beds. They are controlled by a remote to ensure maximum comfort.
- We have 24/7 call bells for care staff to assist with any care and support needs.
- Maintaining a healthy and nutritious daily eating plan is vital to improving the movements of joints. Atkinson’s homes offer a wide range of dietary requirements and are chefs who have a full understanding of providing nutritious daily eating plans, we use fresh local produce.
Get in touch
We’d love to hear from you. If you have any questions on the above or would like to enquire about our respite/full-time care options contact us below!