Helping Residents to Maintain Good Mouth Care
A focus on mouth care is a necessity of meeting fundamental care needs. It’s important to gain an insight into the oral health of the resident on admission to our homes.
An assessment of the health status of the mouth, lips, natural teeth and/or dentures will help establish the type of oral health support required, and ensure that this care is planned for:
- Practice good oral hygiene. Brush teeth thoroughly twice a day and floss daily between the teeth to remove dental plaque.
- Visit your dentist at least once a year, even if you have no natural. teeth or dentures.
- If you have diabetes, work to maintain control of the disease. This will decrease the risk for other complications, including gum disease. Treating gum disease will help lower your blood sugar levels.
- If your medication causes dry mouth, ask you, doctor, for a different medication that may not cause this side effect.
- See your doctor or a dentist if you have sudden changes in taste or smell.
Get in touch
Our Care and Nursing home Managers complete a full in-depth assessment of all care and support needs including vital oral care, for a complimentary assessment or for more advice, please call any of our individual homes or head office.