Care home Coronavirus update
COVID-19 Update from Atkinson’s Private Nursing Homes . 06/11/2020
Please contact the care homes directly about the care and services we provide and for bed availability. Our summer newsletters have now been released and show a snapshot of daily life at our homes. We are incredibly proud of our teams and hope you enjoying reading about the different activities that take place every day.
Updated COVID 19 Visitor Restrictions from 6th November 2020
Atkinson Homes are Committed to Resident and Staff Safety, therefore we have decided to take the very difficult decision to stop all visitors to our homes. This is due to further restrictions that the Government is placing on social gatherings and we feel that this again is an essential step to minimise the further risk to our very vulnerable residents and the staff and optional exposure to COVID 19 (Coronavirus).
Our priority has always been your safety and well being. Closing our doors to all visitors has been one of the most difficult decisions we have had to make and we understand the impact that this has on the people you care about, but when the pandemic first broke out in February 2020, we were one of the first care chains which acted proactively to close all doors early to visitors and we feel because of this swift action we were able to keep our homes, thankfully clear from the virus.
We strive to calm fears and to keep the ‘human contact’ in place for our residents, connected to their loved ones, and we welcome any ideas in which we can do this further, all of our Care and Nursing homes have 24/7 phone numbers in place, and we have many various ways to can communicate effectively with family or friends. We are open and transparent, and by being this way we maintain an honest culture, during these unprecedented difficult times for all.
Communication channels remain open constantly using the following tools;
- Main Telephone Numbers of all homes and Head Office remain open
- Postal and hand-delivered Letters/cards
- Emails and Skype
- Relatives Gateway
- Facebook, we have an individual Facebook page for every home
- Every home has portals in place
- What’s App
- Zoom & Messenger
As a provider of the homes, I am personally committed to ensuring that all homes are well stocked with all PPE equipment, and each home has a storage amount of barrier nursing for up to 3 months. I have taken necessary steps to ensure our kitchen larders are fully over-stocked with supplies. I support every single member of the staffing team at every home and have made myself available to always support my Management team during this very difficult time. The decision we have made to close all doors is extremely difficult, but one that could save lives.
Reducing the Risk from COVID-19
- We closed our doors to all visitors at the start of the pandemic, as the situation escalated quickly across the nation. Any visitors, such as visiting health professionals, only enter the care home if it is necessary and if they have followed strict infection control procedures. This includes wearing the correct personal protective equipment (PPE) and of course, making sure that good hand hygiene is always followed.
- You will have seen the news about concerns relating to masks, gloves and aprons. We want to assure you that we are following the correct procedures to make sure we protect you and our staff teams. We are keeping up to date with all the guidance and are making sure that our staff know how to use the correct equipment.
- Any staff with symptoms, or staff who have been in contact with anyone with COVID-19, are not coming to work and are following the government’s guidance on self-isolation.
- We are monitoring all of the people we support for symptoms
- We do understand that not everyone will have the same symptoms of a persistent/new cough and temperature or loss of smell and taste, and our staff understand the need to look for other symptoms and act immediately.
- We have put arrangements into place for people to keep in contact with your loved ones.
We will of course continue to review and update changes.
Get in touch
If you have any queries regarding the above please don’t hesitate to get in touch. We’re more than happy to provide any information you would like and aim to be continue operating as transparently as possible with residents, their loved ones and the rest of the Sandhurst community.
Tel: 01252 871751